directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: DN parsng wiki page
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2008 18:51:48 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Wow this page is pretty good.  Nice doco!

Ah, looks like a quite familiar pain. Just a note, in X.500/LDAP docs what you
called an ATAV is known as an AVA. Might want to line up the terminology to
make the correspondence clearer.

And may I suggest another optimization to consider - for your AttributeType
internal structure, store a reference to the schema element, not a normalized
OID. You're going to need to dereference fields of the schema definition
frequently when dealing with it anyway, e.g. to find the syntax and what
normalization rules it uses. And, whether you take this approach or not, you
need a strategy for dealing with unrecognized attributeTypes. I.e., right now
you're using the OID, but what happens if you're unable to find the OID?

Presumably the schema is always resident in memory, and a reference will be
the most memory efficient...

--
   -- Howard Chu