On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
Hi guys,

as we have decided to deliver a 1.5.3 release in the next few weeks, and as it will be mainly a bug fix release, here is a status of the current bugs.

We have 232 open issues (quite a huge number), out of which 90 are set to be fixed in 1.5.3, 96 are unscheduled.

It would be great if the unscheduled issues can be scheduled. Also please just fill the missing issues so that we can put as much fix as possible into the 1.5.3 release !

If you have time to add or propose some unit tests for the existing issues, it would be very appreciated !

We have only 42 open bugs scheduled to be fixed for 1.5.3, surprisingly a lower number than expected (or feared :). Here are the status for these bugs :

Seems like this count is up to 89 but not many are that critical.  Going to review your list here below once again to push this release out.

3 bugs are blockers :
=====================

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1166
desc : a lot of Persistent searches may exhaust the available threads
status : To be investigated. It _may_ be postponned as PS is not really used much.

Changed this one's status into won't fix since I don't think it's really an issue but in 1.5.4 we have that new protocol-ldap module and the new event notification mechanism so I'll keep an eye out on not tying up a thread for PS.

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1161
desc : search results are not streamed to the client until final done response is queued
status : A patch has been submitted by Norval, we have to double check that it's OK, or if we have to push some fix into MINA

This one is important but need some status on where we are with it.  I have ideas on how we can fix this issue without fixes to MINA but we can fix MINA too if there's a specific fault in MINA.

* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-832 :
desc : Added Attributes are all case sensitive
status : currently in progress, and will be fixed for 1.5.3, as we just have to check that with the new ServerEntry API, we don't have any more code which do String sensitive comparisons

I think we fixed this no? Maybe switching over to using ServerEntry in the AddRequest and SearchResultEntryResponse objects may cap this one off.  Let me know what you want me to do here.

2 bugs are criticals :
======================
desc: no credentials required to shut down server from in-vm
status: This is a critical issue, I think.

Yeah this is not necessary at all.  If you're in the same process space you will be able to do this.  For stored procedures we need to protect against this eventually with a security manager but that can be done later.

decs: Aborting a client search does not stop the search
status: To be fixed

That's bad but might be a design flaw that will be fixed by Cursors.  I should build into the Cursor interface the innate ability to abandon it.  I'll update this issue but we may need to push this one off to 1.5.4 when Cursors make their debut.

Going to ignore most of these below and just focus on the criticals.  I'll have an updated release plan which I will send on this thread after peering into jira a bit longer.

Cheers,
Alex

30 bugs are major :
===================
desc: provide debug output in org.apache.directory.server.core.authn.AuthenticationService.checkAuthenticated()
status: Definitively something to fix

desc: entryUUID only created when entries are added with Mitosis enabled
status: To be checked and fixed

desc: Lacking atomicity for modify operations on schema subentry
status: To be evaluated

desc: Check that new objectClasses do not have wrong KIND combinations
status: I _think_ that some of the check is already done, but some more unit tests can help

desc: Older concurrent changes are never replicated
status: To be checked

desc: Installed server not aware of Hot Partition entries
status: Status ?

desc: rangeOfValues protedtedItem should not be applicable in Entry scope
status: To be fixed

desc: The filter of the rangeOfValues protectedItem should be evaluated on only the single attribute, not the whole entry
status: Cf DIRSERVER-999

desc: Should the order in which hot partitions are connected to matter?
status: Status

desc: Installer init script does not start default instance on startup.
status: To be fixed

desc: Do not cache plain text passwords in credential cache or in LdapPrincipal
status: Being reworked atm

desc: LdapConfigurationException when trying to connect with "none" security level
status: Being reworked atm

desc: not Support multiple resource record answers caused by ResourceRecordImpl's error equals method
status: This is a DNS issue.

desc: org.apache.directory.server.dns.store.RecordStore not support ordered multiple resource record answers
status: This is a DNS issue.

desc: the ResourceRecordEncoder and QuestionRecordEncoder have bug for empty domainName:( status: This is a DNS issue.

desc: New replicas may never receive some recent modifications
status: To be fixed

desc: Hot partition removal leaves server in inconsistent state (removal is buggy)
status: To be fixed

desc: Failure to create entry with Rdn starting with hash (#)
status: To be double-checked (may be already fixed)

desc: apacheds-protocol-dhcp-1.5.1.jar is missing in Windows Intaller 1.5.1
status: Is this still the case in 1.5.2 ?

desc: Cannot have two partitions dc=example,dc=com and dc=carrefour,dc=com at the same time.
status: We have to fix this urgently

desc: getAttributes( nm, null ) returns empty Attributes if replication enabled?
status: Check this one

desc: Requests of usercertificate;binary are not supported
status: Partially fixed, finish the work

desc: No error thrown when removing a non existing value of an attribute
status: Status ?

desc: Cannot have multiple instance in-process listening on different sockets / ports
status: Status ?

desc: PersistenceSearchTest fails sometimes
status: Status ?

desc: Declaration and instantiation of refService in ServerLdapContext limits extensibility
status: To be checked, and fixed

desc: Deleting Alias entry failure
status: Sounds like a big bug

desc: Moddn with mulit-valued RDN mangles the entry
status: Definitively a bug

desc: Use AtomicLong for sequence counter in MasterTable
status: To be fixed

desc: StartTLS API activation not Working with addExtendedOperationHandler()
status: To be fixed

6 bugs are minor :
===================
desc: Creating an alias from a child entry to the ancestor causes an error (return code 36)
status: To be fixed

desc: SASL and admin password
status: Being reworked atm

desc: New replicas may never be synchronised
status: To be fixed

desc: ApacheDS installer creates redundant server.xml file
status: Status ?

desc: Filter mutated by optimizer passed to other partitions
status: To be fixed

desc: Loop detected on ldapcompare
status: To be fixed

1 bug is trivial :
desc: [Access Control] Autonomous areas for AC must not overlap
status: Not so simple to fix ...

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny