On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
Alex Karasulu (JIRA) wrote:
Trace control and request level logging
---------------------------------------

                 Key: DIRSERVER-1186
             Project: Directory ApacheDS
          Issue Type: New Feature
            Reporter: Alex Karasulu
             Fix For: 1.5.4

Would be really nice to have a debug level control for tracing requests
with
different log levels. This way logging can be off for the whole system while
turned on just to trace an issue with a specific request. Would also be nice
to send back the logging information to the client in the response payload
even on success some way.

Perhaps you should write a spec for an "extended diagnostics" control that can be attached to a request, causing more information to be returned to the client. In general we don't like to expose too much information in protocol responses because that can give away too much knowledge to an attacker. But I guess if you have access controls restricting who can use a particular control, it would be OK.

That's a good point.  Definitely something I will consider.

Alex