Hi users and lurkers,

If there's anyone out there interested in contributing and joining the committership, yet does not know where to start this might be a nice project for you to get your feet wet.  It would be incredibly valuable to the community and we would gain yet another committer.  The project involves building an LDAP integration testing framework.  This framework would be used by the ApacheDS project and by our users interested in testing their applications with over the wire LDAP connections.  Below you'll find a tight description of the project.

Let us know if you're interested!

Thanks,
Alex

Project: Server Integration Project
====================

    Presently we have a core-integ module in ApacheDS which uses the ChangeLog subsystem to revert changes between tests.  It's a special JUnit 4 based framework.  These integration tests run an order of magnitude faster than the old tests in the core-unit module which start, run, stop and destroy a server and it's files db files on disk with each testXxxxx() method in the JUnit 3.8 based test cases.  The core-unit and core-integ modules are for tests on the ApacheDS core which primarily is wrapped by the DirectoryService facade interface.  These tests do not go over the wire.  In the server-unit module we have tests where the actual LDAP network protocol is tested.  Take a look at these project modules to see.  Right now we never finished building a server-integ equivalent to core-integ (not enough time).  The core-integ implementation is documented well here:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSRVx11/Core+Integration+Testing+Framework

"Your mission if you choose to accept it" ;) is to build a server-integ equivalent using the same concepts.  I think we have an empty place holder for the documentation on this here:

     http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/createpage.action?spaceKey=DIRxSRVx11&title=Server+Integration+Testing+Framework&linkCreation=true&fromPageId=28739

Location:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/directory/apacheds/branches/bigbang

Future Module:
    https://svn.apache.org/repos/directory/apacheds/branches/bigbang/server-integ

Motives:
    These remaining server-unit tests take an additional 360 seconds to run.  If the same dynamics hold for the speedup gains from core-integ verses core-unit we should see this drop to about 36 seconds.  The complete build with integration tests enabled by default would then take about 2-3 minute on a modern machine verses the 8-9 minutes it now takes.

Dependencies:

    o JUnit 4
    o apacheds-protocol-ldap

Notes:
    o Might want to study up on the documentation for core-integ
    o Look at and understand the core-integ frawework code
    o Look at tests using core-integ framework (in src/test/java folder of this module)