directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: [Shared] Relaxing the schema parsers
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:30:56 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to ask, how we should handle OID macros in OpenLDAP schema
> files. Here is an example:
>
>    objectIdentifier NetscapeRoot 2.16.840.1.113730
>    objectIdentifier NetscapeLDAP NetscapeRoot:3
>    objectIdentifier NetscapeLDAPattributeType NetscapeLDAP:1
>    attributetype ( NetscapeLDAPattributeType:198
>          NAME 'memberURL'
>          DESC 'Identifies ...'
>          SUP labeledURI )
>
> Right now the parser just fails if it finds an objectIdentifier line. I
> see two ways:
>
> 1st)
> The parser substitutes those macros internally and returns attribute
> types and object classes with the resolved OIDs
>
> 2nd)
> Add a new data structure for those Object Identifiers, keep the symbolic
> names within attribute types and object classes and let the caller
> handle the macros.
>
> Any opinions?

Just to give you an idea of how we handle them...

In the subschema subentry that we publish from the rootDSE, we only publish
fully resolved OIDs. That's the only conformant way to behave there.

In our cn=config tree, we preserve the OID macros as they're provided in the
input. There's a tree of data structures to record the macro definitions, and
an extra field in each schema structure to record where they're used.

Hm, with a slight flaw - we allow OID macros for the attribute syntax field
too, but that's not being preserved in cn=config. I guess this discussion will
prod me into fixing that. ;)

--
   -- Howard Chu