On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
Hi guys,

since a few versions (1.5.1 ?), more and more users are complaining that they get errors when trying to define their own schemas.

We have some big problem in this area :
* We have a great page (http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html) which explains extensively how to define a new schema, but nowhere we explain how to enable an existing schema.

+1

* In some previous version, the schemas can be enabled through the server.xml file. This is not anymore the case, or at least, it's not explicit. It would be great to have this possibility back, because people who don't ar can't use Studio will have difficult time to enable a schema otherwise

-1

I want to get away from putting things into the server.xml.  Eventually I'd like to see the server.xml go away completely with everything configured in the DIT with the first start using smart defaults.  We just need to document this and possibly have more tools for doing specific operations to make it really easy for users.  A combined Studio and ApacheDS tools interface is a good idea.  Just imagine:

    apacheds-tools schema enable samba

This combined with a sweet studio GUI interface.  I want to get away from having duplicate information in two places.  If schema enablement parameters are in two places then which copy of this configuration information is the authoritative copy?  These are bad problems.

* The error "attributeType w/ OID 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.15 not registered" is not really self-explanatory... It would be much better if we can return something like "attributeType ipService (OID 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.15) not registered". This should be possible...

+1

Thanks,
Alex