A little while back the installation footprint and init scripts was altered to allow multiple instances of ApacheDS to run from the same installation.  So this means you can run any number of ApacheDS instances with separate databases for the same install.  Right now we only have the default instance which comes out of the box but users can create more than one instance.

Alex