We should be able to access control the RootDSE.  The reason we cannot today is because there's no way to make it an AP and have a subordinate subentry for the ACIItem that will control access to it.  My reason for asking about the use cases was to try to weigh the need/criticality for this feature verses the amount of work needed to do this without using a hack.  The hack would be to have a simple AA rooted at this RootDSE as the AP but nothing below it.  We could manage subentries as read only in memory objects for this limited AA.

The right solution (non-hack) would be to enable nestable partitions, have a root partition, and do away with the nexus.  Then the whole tree is treated in the same way with the same mechanism - no hacks.

This is why I wanted to know if the use case for anything other than read only global exposure as we have it today is critical.  If so then we can prioritize this nested partition feature and have a root partition that can hold AC subentries under the RootDSE to make it an AP.  Looks like Howard just posted some really good points - we need this feature but it's not critical IMHO so it can wait until we get nested partitions in place.

Another reason why we should have a root partition with partition nesting so we can get rid of the need to have both a system and a schema partition in the server.

Alex