directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Schema configuration
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 07:10:35 GMT
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> since a few versions (1.5.1 ?), more and more users are complaining that
> they get errors when trying to define their own schemas.
>
> We have some big problem in this area :
> * We have a great page (
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html)
> which explains extensively how to define a new schema, but nowhere we
> explain how to enable an existing schema.

+1

> * In some previous version, the schemas can be enabled through the
> server.xml file. This is not anymore the case, or at least, it's not
> explicit. It would be great to have this possibility back, because people
> who don't ar can't use Studio will have difficult time to enable a schema
> otherwise

-1

I want to get away from putting things into the server.xml.  Eventually I'd
like to see the server.xml go away completely with everything configured in
the DIT with the first start using smart defaults.  We just need to document
this and possibly have more tools for doing specific operations to make it
really easy for users.  A combined Studio and ApacheDS tools interface is a
good idea.  Just imagine:

    apacheds-tools schema enable samba

This combined with a sweet studio GUI interface.  I want to get away from
having duplicate information in two places.  If schema enablement parameters
are in two places then which copy of this configuration information is the
authoritative copy?  These are bad problems.

> * The error "attributeType w/ OID 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.15 not registered" is not
> really self-explanatory... It would be much better if we can return
> something like "attributeType ipService (OID 1.3.6.1.1.1.1.15) not
> registered". This should be possible...

+1

Thanks,
Alex