directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <>
Subject [ApacheDS] What about associating the Long id of an entry within ServerEntry
Date Tue, 13 May 2008 05:05:06 GMT
Some operations in the default partition based on JDBM would gain a
performance advantage if we could stuff the (partition unique) Long id
associated with the entry into the ServerEntry object.

Eventually some schemes we discussed in the past for making this Long id a
server unique rather than partition unique identifier will come to pass.  At
that point we can rapidly compare entries based on this identifier.  Besides
the id we will probably eventually have the UUID which is globally unique
for the entry across server instances.  However the UUID costs more to
compare than a long which can be compared in just a few JVM operations.

Until we make it server unique this id parameter can only be leveraged
inside a partition, it cannot be used externally until we devise some of
these schemes discussed in [0] regarding 8 to 16-bit embedded partition
identifiers inside this Long.

Any thoughts on exposing this ID and associating it with a ServerEntry via
an 'id' property on this class now rather than waiting for [0] to be

[0] -

View raw message