directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Ersin Er" <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Replaced trunks with bigbang
Date Thu, 08 May 2008 12:22:18 GMT
Hi,

I suggest we do not have such "giant" branches as bigbang. I think it may
prevent some developers working on the project, at least it may make people
think twice with what they are doing (in a stressful manner). Instead of
trying to keep trunk perfectly building, we can always work on the trunk and
avoid merging problems; and we can sometimes (svn) tag the trunk when it
perfectly builds and makes sense as a whole. So people can be referred to
those tagged versions if they want to go with the edge version of the
server.

Just an idea,

Greetings,

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 4:51 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> To prepare for a new ApacheDS release cycle and a bit of a different mode
> of working we've swapped out the trunks with bigbang branches for the
> following projects:
>
>    shared
>    daemon
>    apacheds
>    installers
>    project
>
> What is now in trunk is a stable build that works.  Unlike before we intend
> to work in trunks now to add what we need for the 1.5.3 release.  Before we
> were just keeping the trunk stable for users but the changes we need there
> for remaining features will not be large and can be safely applied in trunk
> without breakage.  We will merge these changes back into the bigbang after
> making them.  The following features remain for 1.5.3 on our roadmap[0]:
>
>     Index Rebuilding - Fix CLI based index command for adding new indices.
>     UserPassword - make sure userPassword cannot be searched
>     New Installers - installers for Solaris and the tarball remain + making
> the *.bin installer work on all supported *NIX platforms
>
> We will also most likely attack the most critical bugs.
>
> Shortly we will change the bigbang to use the 1.5.4-SNAPSHOT with
> respective versions for dependent projects even though we intend to release
> 1.5.3 from trunk.  We're doing this because there are issues with jar
> collisions due to the fact that we now have a build server that makes sure
> our snapshot repository is fresh.  So for this reason we decided to bump the
> revision for bigbang to 1.5.4-SNAPSHOT while working on 1.5.3-SNAPSHOT in
> trunk.
>
> Also we're going to get seriously medievil withing the bigbang: almost to
> the point where it may not compile for extended periods of time.  For these
> reasons we will switch continuum to build from the trunk now.  I'm going to
> go ahead and try to make the changes for continuum now.  BTW the following
> features will be incorporated into the 1.5.4 release:
>
>     DoS Safeguards - add safeguards to prevent size based DoS attacks
>     DSML w/ Jetty - add Jetty container for self service apps and DSML
> support
>     Nested Partitions - DIRSERVER-465
>     Encrypted Attributes - add support for encrypted attributes
>     Snapshotting & Restoration - add a way to restore a crashed database
> (restore command as a CLI tool)
>     JNDI<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxPMGT/JNDI+removing>- Complete
JNDI removal

--