directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject interface changes in Table and MasterTable
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 21:00:20 GMT
hi All,

     Below is the summary which lead to the modification of put() and
remove()/delete() method signatures in
     Table and MasterTable.

Changed Interfaces :- The put() and remove() methods in Table and put()
and delete() methods in MasterTable.

The context :- Implementation of a Berkeley DB JE based partition for ADS.

Reason for the change :-  In the Jdbm based Table implementation put()
and remove() operations return a value
                                           cause JDBM returns the
existing/previous values (like a HashMap) for put and remove
                                           and these values are returned
from the above mentioned operations.

                                           But JE doesn't return these
(existing/previous) values instead returns a special Enum
                                           value stating the success or
failure of the operation.

However I have observed that the return values of the existing put() and
remove() methods are not used anywhere  hence I made the above said
change ( tested this by changing the interfaces and the respective
implementations and ran all tests ( Note: no functional aspects of the
implementations was touched except removing or replacing the *return*
statements) )

thoughts?

P.S :- In the JE based implementation we can still return the
previous/existing value but this requires a
         lookup in each operation (put and remove) for storing the old
value but this is not  a desirable
         implementation.

Kiran Ayyagari