directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Bigbang] Filters are run twice, and other potential improvements
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 21:08:20 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>> 4) In the same DefaultSearchEngine.cursor() method, we do a lookup on the
>>> alias index :
>>>
>>>       String aliasedBase = db.getAliasIndex().reverseLookup( baseId );
>>>
>>> Aliases could be hold in a cache (we won't have thousands of aliases) in
>>> order to avoid a lookup. (not sure this is a great hack ...)
>>>

> You cannot presume you will have few aliases.  You just never know how many
> people will use.  Hopefully the answer is none but this is not the case.

true. May be not really interesting to have this cache, or simply not
possible to cover all the cases. Anyway, this is not an important
improvement.

>>> 5) The ChangeLog, Event and Trigger interceptors should be bypassed.
>>>

> Bypassed in lookup calls or search?

search. I didn't checked lookup yet.

>>> 6) The EvaluatorBuilder uses Node attributes as String, which leads to
>>> many accesses to the OidRegistry, to check that those String are valid
>>> AttributeTypes. As the Nodes are built earlier in the process, I would
>>> suggest we store AttributeTypes instead of String into the Nodes, to avoid
>>> many lookup in the Registries.
>>>

> Yeah that sounds like a great idea.  Let me know if you already fixed this
> in your working directory and I can back off from making the changes.

I will try to see what kind of change it will imply.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org