directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Bigbang] Filters are run twice, and other potential improvements
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 17:49:14 GMT
Hi,

I did some debuging session today, in order to analyze where the server
was doing useless operations. Here is what I found :

1) The ExceptionInterceptor search method has this portion of code which
is problematic :

            EntryFilteringCursor cursor =  nextInterceptor.search(
opContext );

            if ( ! cursor.next() )

The next() call will run the filters, leading to a call to the
CollectiveAttribute accept() method, which does a lookup. This lookup is
obviously overkilling (see point 2), but the problem is that when the
NamingEnumerationAdaptor is created in the ServerLdapContext, filters
are run a second time.

It generates a double call to all the filters, plus a double lookup on
the backup, so at the end we have cloned three times the entry : once in
the original pretech, and two in the collectiveAttribute accept method.

If we can kill this duplication of effort, the speedup will be enormous
(I think we can even be faster than trunk)

2) The lookup in the CollectiveAttributeInterceptor's filter is useless.
It's done in the following method :
    private void addCollectiveAttributes( LdapDN normName, ServerEntry
entry, String[] retAttrs ) throws Exception

The idea is to get the 'collectiveAttributeSubentries' attribute type,
which is not requested by default. This is done through a second fetch
of the whole entry. We could probably just request for this
attributeType (and I think it's already the case, as we get all the AT
from the entry, operationnal attributes included, and strip the not
requested attributes on the cloned entry). So avoiding such a lookup
should be possible.

3) In the DefaultSearchEngine.cursor() method, we call
JdbmStore.getEntryId( base.toString() ). Here is the code of this method :

    public Long getEntryId( String dn ) throws Exception
    {
        return ndnIdx.forwardLookup( dn );
    }

and the JdbmIndex.forwardLookup code :

    public Long forwardLookup( K attrVal ) throws Exception
    {
        return forward.get( getNormalized( attrVal ) );
    }

The getNormalized() method will look into a cache for a normalized form
of the DN (but as this is a general index, K can be something different
from a LdapDN, of course). Anyway, if it's a DN, it's already
normalized, so this is costly and useless. We can check if the index is
the ndn index and in this case, simply pass the String without checking
in a cache.

4) In the same DefaultSearchEngine.cursor() method, we do a lookup on
the alias index :

        String aliasedBase = db.getAliasIndex().reverseLookup( baseId );

Aliases could be hold in a cache (we won't have thousands of aliases) in
order to avoid a lookup. (not sure this is a great hack ...)

5) The ChangeLog, Event and Trigger interceptors should be bypassed.

6) The EvaluatorBuilder uses Node attributes as String, which leads to
many accesses to the OidRegistry, to check that those String are valid
AttributeTypes. As the Nodes are built earlier in the process, I would
suggest we store AttributeTypes instead of String into the Nodes, to
avoid many lookup in the Registries.

That's it for now, but enough places we can work on atm to get this
branch fast !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com