directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject [perf] Should we really deep clone the serverEntry ?
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 01:49:14 GMT
Hi,

I just realize that it might not be a good idea to deep clone
ServerEntry instances when searching data into the server.

Currently, when we get an entry from the backend, we clone it in order
to avoid modification of the cache (the entry might be - and hopefully
is - cached) when removing attributes from it before returning it to the
user (for instance when removing operational attributes, or selecting
the attributes the user have asked for).

But we never remove a value, or modify an attribute, unless another
request modify the entry. So my question : what if we simply clone the
ServerEntry, but not the attributes ? It will save a huge amount of
processing (cloning attributes costs around 28% of the global time spent
into the server).

What if we add a lock mechanism (a monitor for instance) to protect
entries in the cache from being modified while they are searched ? It
could be as simple as a flag which will be set when the entry has been
modified (a antomicBoolean could be just enough).

Did I missed something ? Does it make sense ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org