directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 01:37:11 GMT
Howard Chu wrote:

> I wouldn't call query containment "garbage" -
Garbage = to patent something which is prior art :)
> LDAP search queries can be pretty complex, and it certainly takes some
> thinking to get caching right. Give credit where it's due. I don't
> believe in software patents though; this is all pretty stupid.
This was my point.
> And of course, Apurva's original implementation was pretty atrocious;
> I had to rewrite about 95% of it before it would offer any performance
> benefit over no cache at all.
:)
> The second patent is essentially one step beyond syncrepl and other
> similar replication mechanisms that have existed for many years. We've
> had partial and fractional replication for ages. The difference that I
> see here is that he's using query containment to decide to return a
> referral to the master server, when a searched-for entry isn't present
> in the replica. In our current implementations, if you ran such a
> query against a partial replica, you'd just get no result back for the
> missing entries. As patents go, it follows the standard formula - add
> one step to an existing well known process and presto, you've invented
> something new. Whether it's actually useful or not is a different
> question - IMO, anything that relies on LDAP referrals is
> fundamentally flawed anyway.
Thanks for the insight Howard !

I have some friends working in big telco companies, and they told me
that their boni was partly based on the number of patents they register.
This clearly leads to a ridiculous patent race.

We see the very same thing happening in the research area : if you don't
publish, you don't exist. Thanks god, Ig Nobel has been created to grant
the most stupid research papers... (have a look at this paper :
http://www.sunshine-project.org/incapacitants/jnlwdpdf/wpafbchem.pdf.
Top of page 2 is simply hilarious :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny