directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] New CoreSession interface for review
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 00:26:36 GMT
Hi Alex,

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We've been unofficially tossing around the idea of creating a session
> interface used by the core DirectoryService.  The idea was to have a central
> location where session scope parameters for LDAP operations going into the
> core can be managed.  These are things like controls, the principal that
> authenticated, the authentication level and other related parameters.  I
> whipped together such an interface and documented these elements in the
> javadocs for anyone interested to review.  The interface is called
> CoreSession and can be found here:
>
>      http://quaipe.notlong.com/

I think that this API seems correct to me, but I would rather name it
LdapSession, because all the operations are really LDAP ones.
> First I would like to have some feedback on this before I start using the
> interace.  To decouple JNDI in the final step (phase III) of the bigbang we
> need also to expose interfaces for performing operations against the core
> DirectoryService.  These request operations will wrap up parameters in the
> OperationContexts already defined.  OperationContexts will contain a
> reference to the CoreSession.

To use an analogy, the OperationContext will be like a ServletRequest,
containing a lot of side informations.
> One idea floating around was to expose doXxxx() methods for different kinds
> of operations that can be performed on the core DirectoryService.  At some
> point we were thinking of exposing these methods on the DirectoryService.
> Then we thought this might make the DirectoryService too cluttered.  So then
> we thought some other interface (i.e. OperationManager etc) can be defined
> and access to it may be provided via a getter on the DirectoryService.  This
> was one aspect of the discussions.
>
> Another aspect revolved around whether or not these doXxxx() LDAP operation
> methods would take all parameters as arguments or just take these
> OperationContext objects.  If we expose doXxxx() methods which take the
> parameters and not their respective operations we're going to have to
> require an additional LdapSession argument to all methods except for bind
> (although some overloads of bind may take a session).
>
> I'm starting to think it might be best to expose these doXxxx() methods on
> the CoreSession interface taking operation parameters arguments to hide
> these OperationContext objects from users.
I think it's a better approach. We don't have thousands of arguments,
and it's always a burden for users to create another object to contain
some informations.
> Also this way we can avoid
> having an additional CoreSession parameter if we go this route instead of
> exposing these interfaces on the DirectoryService or some other interface.
> I'll try to mock these up as well and put them into the CoreSession for
> review.
>
> Thoughts?

I see some possible extensions for 'internal operations'. From the user
point of view, LDAP requests are just enough. But we are using some more
specific requests inside the server, like List, Lookup, getRootDSE, and
such. It would be interesting to create some CoreSession and some
LdapSession interfaces, the first one used by the server and the second
one by the users. Maybe LdapSession will just inherit from CoreSession.

Anyway, this cover pretty much phase III (JNDI removal from the core
server).

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny