directory-dev mailing list archives

From Graham Leggett <>
Subject Re: [OT]Einstein was right ...
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 00:19:00 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:

> .. when he said that two things were infinite :
> - the Universe,
> - human stupidity
> But he added that he doubts that the first assertion was right.
> Regardless, the second one seems to be correct :
> How possibly some idiots can patent such an incredibly piece of garbage ???

Prior art kills patents.

Both caching and reverse proxying have well documented prior art in
httpd going to before 1999 (when I first got involved with it). It would
have to be determined whether HTTP and LDAP differ enough to argue that
the work is original. (Both HTTP and LDAP are request response protocols
where an end user makes a request for information and receives a response.)

Alternatively, I am sure that Sun produced an LDAP proxy server capable
of doing directory aggregation about a decade ago, may be good to check.
Anyone remember?

View raw message