directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Shared] Relaxing the schema parsers
Date Tue, 27 May 2008 21:42:56 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi dev,
>
> We are using the shared-ldap schema parser now in the LDAP Browser
> plugin of Studio.
>
> Some LDAP servers however have a schema that isn't valid according to
> RFC's (for example the Netscape successors are using "nsFooBar-oid" as
> OID for some  attributeTypes and objectClasses). This causes problems
> when loading the schema from such servers as the schema parser is quite
> strict.
>
> I would like to add a flag to the schema parser to make the parser
> strict or more relaxed, depending on the usage. The default behaviour
> should be unchanged of course, we need a strict parser in the server and
> in the schema editor.

Hi Stefan,

this makes perfect sense to me. We also have to relax the parser in many
other aspects :
- allowing tabs instead of spaces,
- allowing more than one space
- allowing missing spaces before or after '(' and ')'
- allowing unordered parameters.

This will render the grammar a little (lot?) more complex, but this is
really important. Many users have problems with the syntax checker right
now.

So it's up to you. I don't even think we need a flag for that, or may be
a 'strict' flag to enforce strict syntax checking, the relaxed one being
the default, IMO.

Thanks !

PS : I think I have added a JIRA for that, but JIRA is down - at least
in europe -.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com