directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Apache DS] Questions about Apache DS 1.5.2 server.xml file
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 08:15:56 GMT
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
> Hi again Alex,
>
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org
> <mailto:akarasulu@apache.org>> wrote:
>

>         • It seems that each declared protocol must be referenced in
>         the 'apacheDS' bean. Am I right?
>         If yes, then if I want to enable the DNS server inside Apache
>         DS, I'll need to uncomment the 'dnsServer' bean, add an 'id'
>         to it and reference it in the 'apacheDS' bean?
>

>     Yep you're right.
>

> Are you sure about that...?
> Actually, I had a closer look to the ApacheDS class
> (org.apache.directory.server.configuration.ApacheDS) and I've not seen
> any dnsServer, kdcServer, changePasswordServer or ntpServer field. I
> don't see how Spring could make any association...
> How do I enable these protocols? Maybe by setting an 'enable'
> attribute set to true to each protocol bean?
The problem since we "adopted" the xbean+Spring stuff is now pretty
apparent. These two things gathered just plain sucks.

We definitively have to step back a little, and come back to some
srrious - although boring - solution. What we have is silly, painfull,
error-prone, and make the users wondering if we are simply trying to
have fun endorsing the latest funny buzz around there.

<rant>
I already ranted about this xbean+spring stuff, but now, I consider that
was not rant. I was soft. This couple will just produce monsters, not
babies... We must practice abortion asap, and keep the parent either
separated or killed !!!
</rant>

Seriously, we can't keep this situation as is for 2.0.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org