Hi Pierre,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
Hi all,

After a few discussions with a part of the Directory Team that was at ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam, we've been thinking on an idea of a new plugin for Studio.

This plugin would be an Apache Directory Server plugin. It would allow the user to organize and launch Apache Directory Server configurations within Studio, and this, without having to install Apache DS on the machine (the plugin would package Apache DS 1.5.2 jars).

Great to see you whipping this together.  Thanks for updating us on the ML.

I think this is a great idea for a plugin (original credits go to Stefan Zoerner who put the idea on the table during a discussion).

Go Zoerner !!!

It can be very helpful for developpers who are working on projects including an LDAP layer.
Wouldn't it be great to launch a server for verifying a piece of code (Java or not) in two clicks? A few steps of simple configuration, a clic on the run button, and you're set to go...

That's PHAT!

I believe it may also give more visibility to Apache DS. Maybe some people who are using Studio don't know that the Apache Directory project is also hosting a powerful LDAP server...

Ah yeah.

I think a first version of such a plugin should be released as soon as possible... Probably as part of a 1.2.0 Studio release.

Just perfect we'll probably be able to release ADS 1.5.3 by then with some additional features for delegated authentication to AD.  Hoping to.

In a near future, we could also imagine to include support for managing Apache DS instances installed on the machine itself (installed using the Apache DS installers).

+1 that would be great.  I was going to write an ApacheDS tools command for that too.  Maybe we can reuse some code here when we get to that stage.

I also started to write a specific Log4J logger that would report log in the Console view of Eclipse.

Any thoughts on this?

Just excited that you're going to make it real.  Can't wait to take it for a test drive. Thanks!

Alex