I've now seen this behavior as you stated in action.  You're dead on target.  It will keep going up the file system directory hierarchy until it deletes all ancestors of the installation unless there is another package that is also installed under an ancestor.

Odd that this is not directly stated somewhere since it can spook people out like it did me.

Alex