On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
Hi David,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
First, and this is a blocker, there are no hardcoded LICENSE and NOTICE files in svn at the checkout root.

I looked at the Dev site at Apache (http://apache.org/dev/) and could not find the place where it is explicitely said that LICENSE and NOTICE files are required in SVN at the checkout root. Even though, I'm not against adding them in here. ;)
I'm just curious of any legal document I'm not aware of. Could you point me to that page please ?

As (in my experience) most process bits of ASF stuff any docs you may find are generally wrong and if you ask any collection of old-timers you get a different answer from each.  However there's been a lot of discussion on legal-discuss recently and after a lot of prodding there seems to be consensus that:

- all distribution units need LICENSE and NOTICE files
- expected svn checkout units form a "distribution" so need to include LICENSE and NOTICE files
- all other LICENSE and NOTICE files can be generated or from svn
- each LICENSE and NOTICE file refers only to the contents of the distribution unit, not anything such as required dependencies that might be needed to use it.

Where should we have these files?
At /directory/studio? Or both at /directory/studio/trunk and /directory/studio/branches/1.1.0?

.../trunk and ..../branches/1.1.0 since those are what we expect people to check out if they want to build it themselves.

Thanks.

As I explained in my previous mails, this vote was about the 1.1.0 branch (/directory/studio/branches/1.1
.0) and we should have been more explicit. Is your vote still -1 for this branch ?

I haven't had time to look at this branch.  Is it built with maven?  I'm not sure if I'll have time to look soon.  If you guys are confident that all the artifacts have appropriate legal files and there are no snapshots in any maven build (if used) I'm happy to change to +0.

thanks
david jencks

I'm going to add DIRSTUDIO-313 (Copyright in Splash Screen and Help Dialog is still 2007) to the 1.1.0 roadmap. It's an easy fix and as it deals with copyright I think it's important to fix it right now.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud