directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Starting a new Apache Directory Server plugin
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 20:29:20 GMT
Hi Pierre,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After a few discussions with a part of the Directory Team that was at
> ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam, we've been thinking on an idea of a new
> plugin for Studio.
>
> This plugin would be an Apache Directory Server plugin. It would allow the
> user to organize and launch Apache Directory Server configurations within
> Studio, and this, without having to install Apache DS on the machine (the
> plugin would package Apache DS 1.5.2 jars).

Great to see you whipping this together.  Thanks for updating us on the ML.

> I think this is a great idea for a plugin (original credits go to Stefan
> Zoerner who put the idea on the table during a discussion).

Go Zoerner !!!

> It can be very helpful for developpers who are working on projects
> including an LDAP layer.
> Wouldn't it be great to launch a server for verifying a piece of code
> (Java or not) in two clicks? A few steps of simple configuration, a clic on
> the run button, and you're set to go...

That's PHAT!

> I believe it may also give more visibility to Apache DS. Maybe some people
> who are using Studio don't know that the Apache Directory project is also
> hosting a powerful LDAP server...

Ah yeah.

> I think a first version of such a plugin should be released as soon as
> possible... Probably as part of a 1.2.0 Studio release.

Just perfect we'll probably be able to release ADS 1.5.3 by then with some
additional features for delegated authentication to AD.  Hoping to.

> In a near future, we could also imagine to include support for managing
> Apache DS instances installed on the machine itself (installed using the
> Apache DS installers).

+1 that would be great.  I was going to write an ApacheDS tools command for
that too.  Maybe we can reuse some code here when we get to that stage.

> I also started to write a specific Log4J logger that would report log in
> the Console view of Eclipse.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Just excited that you're going to make it real.  Can't wait to take it for a
test drive. Thanks!

Alex