directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] Problems with instances and apacheds-tools
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:14:52 GMT
I thought I'd mention that we have a major issue with the server-tools which
is used to generate the apacheds-tools.jar file.  The problem rests with the
way these new installers separate out the installation footprint.

There is a InstallationLayout class used to holds all the paths to various
parts of an installation.  It pre-dates the changes to installers which
introduced this idea of instances.  Unfortunately it does not track
instances.  It presumes the partitions directory inside the installation
root contains all the partitions instead of looking into the appropriate
instance folder in the /var/lib/apachceds-x.x/ directory.

This means we can no longer use the ApacheDS tools to do things like dump
partitions and rebuild indices.  The recent 1.5.2 release has this problem.
I went ahead and released anyway since this is an experimental feature
introduction release.  It can contain bugs like this which we can rectify in
later releases.  However this problem is pretty limiting and we need to fix
it to match the new way in which we deal with instances.

Alex