directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Installer file naming convention
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:32:34 GMT
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:44 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>
wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:50 AM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if we used a convention for the names of the generated
> > installers.   Here's what we have right now from what I can build on this
> > machine:
> >
> >    apacheds-debian-<arch>-<version>.deb
> >    apacheds-server-<version>-<arch>.rpm
> >    apacheds-linux-<version>.bin
> >
> > First I know this apacheds-server base name in the RPM is from the old
> > installer days.  It's a bit redundant, so why don't we just use 'apacheds'
> > as the package name base for everything.  No need to use apacheds-server.
> >
> > Same thing for apacheds-debian.  I think it's pretty clear this is for
> > debian because of the file extension.  I don't think we need to add debian.
> >
> > Also we should probably have the architecture after the version.  So we
> > would have something like this:
> >
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-ppc.rpm
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-x86_64.rpm
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-sparc.rpm
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-x86_64.rpm
> >
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-ppc.deb
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-i386.deb
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-sparc.deb
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-x86_64.deb
> >
> > I don't know the names of the installers generated for Windows and Mac,
> > but if we follow the same convention:
> >
> >     apacheds-1.5.2.dmg (arch not needed as you said)
> >     apacheds-1.5.2.exe (arch not needed again)
>

> +1 for this naming scheme.
> I can change it in the installers pom.xml if you like.

Cool if that's not a hassle.  I can do it as well, although I'm just about
to crash.

> Again from my understanding the executables for Mac and W$ will run on any
> > architecture for those operating systems.  I want to test this to make sure
> > though if you have not already done that, let me know.
>

> I'm sure for the mac version as we're using the universal binary of the
> wrapper.
> I don't know for Windows, I don't have a 64 bit Windows to test it on.

If the Windows version is i386 it should run on both.  I just have to test
it.

> Now the bin installer is the odd ball.
> >
> > (1) Will this run on all architectures as well?
> > (2) Will it produce an installation layout that can be used on multiple
> > *NIX operating systems?
>

> (1) I think I had set this up with a x86 version of the wrapper for the
> most commonly used system.
> We can add another binary installer for a 64 bit too if you like.

No problem this is fine.  Perhaps in the future we can modify the init
script and include all the wrapper executables for *NIX in one generic
installer.  That way based on the $OS it can use the right wrapper.  We
could even use the *.bin on Mac.  Even Windows if cygwin or some other shell
is installed.  Just an idea tho.

> > If so then I guess we can just use the same scheme as we do for the Mac
> > and W$ installers but instead of using the *.bin extension maybe we can use
> > the *.sh .  This gives a clear cue to the user that it's a shell script
> > installer here's what that would look like:
> >
> >     apacheds-1.5.2.sh
> >
> >     (presuming arch/os not needed if init script uses different bundled
> > wrapper executable)
>

> Well, to me it more a small shell script in a large binary file than a
> large shell script including a small binary part, but as you like.
> It like the binary installer for the JVM which you can download from Sun.
> But if you want to switch the extension to sh, it ok.

No problem you make a good point.  Either way I'm happy.

> > I guess eventually we'll also have Solaris packages and that presents
> > the whole sparc verses intel architecture classification.  But this scheme
> > will support that:
> >
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-sparc.pkg
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-i386.pkg
> >     apacheds-1.5.2-x86_64.pkg
>

> +1 for this too, as soon as we have this installers. (Soon ;) )

I included these here to make this email complete with all the
possibilities.

Thanks,
Alex