directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Directory Studio 1.1.0
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:07:33 GMT

On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:40 AM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 7:27 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> First, and this is a blocker, there are no hardcoded LICENSE and
> NOTICE files in svn at the checkout root.
>
> I looked at the Dev site at Apache (http://apache.org/dev/) and
> could not find the place where it is explicitely said that LICENSE
> and NOTICE files are required in SVN at the checkout root. Even
> though, I'm not against adding them in here. ;)
> I'm just curious of any legal document I'm not aware of. Could you
> point me to that page please ?

As (in my experience) most process bits of ASF stuff any docs you may
find are generally wrong and if you ask any collection of old-timers
you get a different answer from each.  However there's been a lot of
discussion on legal-discuss recently and after a lot of prodding
there seems to be consensus that:

- all distribution units need LICENSE and NOTICE files
- expected svn checkout units form a "distribution" so need to
include LICENSE and NOTICE files
- all other LICENSE and NOTICE files can be generated or from svn
- each LICENSE and NOTICE file refers only to the contents of the
distribution unit, not anything such as required dependencies that
might be needed to use it.

> Where should we have these files?
> At /directory/studio? Or both at /directory/studio/trunk and /
> directory/studio/branches/1.1.0?

.../trunk and ..../branches/1.1.0 since those are what we expect
people to check out if they want to build it themselves.

> Thanks.
>
> As I explained in my previous mails, this vote was about the 1.1.0
> branch (/directory/studio/branches/1.1
> .0) and we should have been more explicit. Is your vote still -1
> for this branch ?

I haven't had time to look at this branch.  Is it built with maven?
I'm not sure if I'll have time to look soon.  If you guys are
confident that all the artifacts have appropriate legal files and
there are no snapshots in any maven build (if used) I'm happy to
change to +0.

thanks
david jencks