directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Studio] Starting a new Apache Directory Server plugin
Date Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:10:37 GMT
Hi all,

After a few discussions with a part of the Directory Team that was at
ApacheCon Europe in Amsterdam, we've been thinking on an idea of a new
plugin for Studio.

This plugin would be an Apache Directory Server plugin. It would allow the
user to organize and launch Apache Directory Server configurations within
Studio, and this, without having to install Apache DS on the machine (the
plugin would package Apache DS 1.5.2 jars).

I think this is a great idea for a plugin (original credits go to Stefan
Zoerner who put the idea on the table during a discussion). It can be very
helpful for developpers who are working on projects including an LDAP layer.
Wouldn't it be great to launch a server for verifying a piece of code (Java
or not) in two clicks? A few steps of simple configuration, a clic on the
run button, and you're set to go...

I believe it may also give more visibility to Apache DS. Maybe some people
who are using Studio don't know that the Apache Directory project is also
hosting a powerful LDAP server...

I think a first version of such a plugin should be released as soon as
possible... Probably as part of a 1.2.0 Studio release.

In a near future, we could also imagine to include support for managing
Apache DS instances installed on the machine itself (installed using the
Apache DS installers).

For you info, I already started some experimentations in the sandbox. I've
been able to launch a Java program within an Eclipse plugin using the Debug
and JDT Eclipse plugins. I also started to write a specific Log4J logger
that would report log in the Console view of Eclipse.

Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud