directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [ApacheDS] Apache DS Deb and Linux Binary installers - Testers needed
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 09:57:54 GMT
Hi,

I think I'm done with the Deb and Linux Binary installers.

The improvement from the last version I sent a few weeks ago is that
ApacheDS now runs under the 'apacheds' user. This user will be created by
the installers if it's not already existing.

I tested them on my machine with Ubuntu 7.10 and Java 1.5.0_13. They all
worked fine.

For those who are interested in, the installer is located here:

http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/apacheds-debian-amd64-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.deb

http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/apacheds-debian-i386-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.deb
    http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin

The Debian installers will install the following things on your system:

   - ApacheDS data is installed in "/opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT"
   - ApacheDS instances are installed in "/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT
   "
   - An init script will be installed in "/etc/init.d/apacheds-
   1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default"

To start the server, run the following command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default start

To stop the server, run the following command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-default stop

You can launch the Binary installer like a classic executable file:
$ ./apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin

It will ask you four questions:

   - Do you agree to the above license terms?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS instances?
   - What name do you want for the default instance?

There will be default values for the three last ones (for easy install).

This installer will install the following things on your system:

   - ApacheDS data is installed in "/opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT" by
   default or what you chose in the installer
   - ApacheDS instances are installed in "/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT"
   by default or what you chose in the installer
   - An init script will be installed in "/etc/init.d/apacheds-
   1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE" where $INSTANCE is the chosen name for the
   default instance.

To start the server, run the following command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE start

To stop the server, run the following command:
$ sudo /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE stop

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud