directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Studio] Renaming 1.1.0 branch to 1.1.x
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:05:34 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Our general strategy up to this point has been to create a GA branch
> like 1.1 to apply bug fixes on that branch.  From there you release
> bug fix releases like 1.1.1, 1.1.2, ... 1.1.N.  The 1.1 name implies
> the same as 1.1.x.

Jörg Schaible has an important point here : Maven won't be able to make
a difference between 1.1 and 1.1.1 (it will take 1.1.1 instead of 1.1,
because 1.1 = 1.1.0)

So the released version should be named 1.1.0. Then every further
revision will be named 1.1.1, 1.1.2, etc... and every working revision
will be pointed by a 1.1.x-SNAPSHOT on the working branch.

Not sure if I'm clear, but Jörg is, for sure :)

> HTH,
> Alex
>
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:38 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com
> <mailto:david_jencks@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Apr 25, 2008, at 6:03 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>         Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot wrote:
>
>             Hi,
>
>             I'd like to propose a renaming of the "1.1.0" branch
>             (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.0/)
>             to "1.1.x"
>             (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/studio/branches/1.1.x/).
>
>             This branch is (and will be) used to prepare the minor
>             (service) revisions for the 1.1.0 release and, as the
>             1.1.0 version is out now, I think it makes no longer sense
>             to name it 1.1.0. <http://1.1.0.> <http://1.1.0.>
>
>             Any objection?
>
>         rename it to 1.1.1, so that we all know which version is being
>         baked.
>

>     Another strategy is to name it 1.1, and have the version either
>     stay at 1.1-SNAPSHOT (till the end of time) or 1.1.1-SNAPSHOT and
>     update it after every release.  I don't think renaming the branch
>     after every release will improve the ease of svn archeaology
>     should someone want to examine past history.
>
>     thanks
>     david jencks
>

>             Thanks,
>             Pierre-Arnaud