directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Removing non-existent values from an attribute
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 22:52:47 GMT
Hi Howard,

I'm just wondering why OpenLdap returns a noSuchAttribute when we try to
delete a non-existent value from an existent attribute...

The 4511 RFCs says nothing about this specific case, even if the
noSuchAttribute error code says :
"Indicates that the named entry does not contain the specified attribute
or attribute value."

We currently don't returns an error, based on the fact that removing a
non-existent value does not break the server, and will always be
successfull, as the value will be removed (well, as it does not exist :).

Should we change ADS to generate an error or not ? Does Kurt said
something specific about this case? I didn't found anything related on
google...

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny