Yeah the init script will be run as the root user on startup.  So sudo su - apacheds will not require a password.

Alex

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 8:26 AM, David Montag <davmo024@student.liu.se> wrote:
Hi,

When I tried using an installer, I had to enter the apacheds user's password when starting the server using /etc/init.d/apacheds start default. Maybe this is more or less what Felix said?

/David

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Felix Knecht <felixk@apache.org> wrote:
Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to finish the new installers (.deb and .bin), and I'm
> facing an issue when I'm trying to run Apache DS with an 'apacheds' user.
>
> I looked at the RPM Spec file
> (/installers/apacheds/src/main/installers/apacheds-rpm.spec) used to
> build the RPM package and I've seen that it creates a group and a user
> called 'apacheds' on the target system and that the init script uses
> this 'apacheds' user to run the server.
>
> I added the same thing in the .deb and .bin installer. The user and
> group 'apacheds' are well created but launching the server does not
> work as expected, letting me with no log in the wrapper, nor the server.
>
> If anyone has an idea...
Maybe this helps to get more error messages:

Try after installation to sudo su - apacheds and start the server
manually (not from the /etc/init.d script but what the script does.

I could imaging missing permissions on files or missing $JAVA_HOME or so

Felix