On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
Using cursors for walking entry lists (and saving the cursor state) is
certainly useful inside the server, but there's nothing you can safely gain
from the client side.

It kind of sounds like you're talking about Virtual List Views, not paged
results. Remember that search responses in LDAP/X.500 are unordered by
definition. Therefore it makes no sense for a standards-compliant client to
send an initial request with a Paging control saying "start at responses
200-300" because the order in which entries will be returned is not defined.
You need something like VLV which requires SSS to even begin thinking about
this; it's not a job for Paged Results.

Yes you're totally right, I've confused the two controls.  Thanks for the correction.

Either way we still need to implement both.  Does OpenLDAP implements both of these controls?  Any opinions or advice regarding implementation and or the actual utility of these controls?

Thanks,
Alex