Hi David,

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:22 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
I updated the project/bigbang/pom.xml to use the latest maven-remote-
resources-plugin and bundle.  (I've also modified the apacheds and
shared bigbang branches to construct what I think are OK legal files).

I also added a  couple more plugins that should be helpful to check
the project "legal status":

- geronimo maven-tools-plugin.  This verifies that there is a LICENSE
and NOTICE file in every output artifact such as jar, source jar, or
javadoc jar.  I'm surprised this functionality isn't available
anywhere else but AFAICT it isn't.
- maven-rat-plugin.  You run this with mvn rat:check.  I recommend
doing a clean first.  It generates a report target/rat.txt that lists
all the files and whether it thinks there might be something wrong
with them as far as having a license header or suchlike.

Excellent.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. go with the flow, don't fight city hall, etc etc and put the tags
in xxx/tags like everyone else instead of xxx/releases.  This would
let us eliminate the maven-release-plugin configuration everywhere
except project/pom.xml.

I fully agree.  If you like feel free to move our releases to tags in poms and subversion so we don't have anything that is non-standard.

2. Put a release profile in project/pom.xml that is similar to the
one maven uses.  Parameterize it something like what I have done for
geronimo so its fairly easy to stage stuff to your people.apache.org
location for votes.  I've written this up for geronimo and it seems
to work, including the stage plugin and staging the site.  http://
cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-release-process.html

I guess the whole PMC has to read up on this.  Have not read it yet myself.  Right now the release uses the release plugin with a profile for at least ADS I can verify that it works in deploying and pgp signing etc.

Alex