It's really easy with that vmware infrastructure client thingy we setup on your machine the other day.  Just goto the menu and select new virtual machine.  Then follow the wizard.  Give it the resources you need.  You might want to experiment and create a few VM's you can delete them if you like, when you like.

We have some ISO files under the software user for various operating systems like Solaris x86 and Freebsd etc.  You can mount these ISO file's in the CDROM/DVD under that device's configuration section.  If you like you can also sudo su - software and wget new ISO image's from the web for various operating systems and drop them into folders under this user.  Then you can mount them on the CDROM.  This will allow your new VM to boot into the operating system's installer.

If you have any problems ping me online and we can step through it.

Cheers,
Alex