On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 1:59 PM, Ole Ersoy <ole.ersoy@gmail.com> wrote:
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Oh Ole I'm trying to get this EMF stuff but I'm just not groking it -
> still need to back up and read these long emails.  Thanks for not giving
> up on us - I know the EMF concepts you talk about are valuable
> especially when we really trick studio out the way I dream of.

Thanks for not blocking me as Spam on the mail list :-).  I know when you are doing a big bang, and this Ole guy starts proposing a big bang on top of the big bang, it can be a little over the top.

No worries I appreciate your comments.   I just wish I had the attention span these days to follow up and research them.

One thing I can do to make it simpler is just create a simple little hello world for it, that will demo the key capabilities that I think will be most valuable for the directory project.  Starting with the simplest XML Schema possible, so that it's much easier to see what's going on and relate the inputs to the outputs.

Yeah that would help a lot thanks.

The XBean Schema generated something like 40 implementation classes (Impl posftixed classes), plus corresponding interfaces.  Even though these are the configuration beans, it's still pretty intensive to think about how the graph of all of those are constructed from loading server.xml, in addition to general EMF design concepts, which is all pattern based.

But before we invest time in general, we need to make sure we agree on an understanding of the process in which EMF would be used, the the general requirements it imposes on server components, such that everyone has a chance to see whether they would enjoy that type of development style.

That would be nice before rushing into it.

One thing you mentioned was storing the configuration in the DIT.  With the LDAP DAS that would be instant.

Really? I wanted to work with you on this and saw you were using some basis mapping technique.  I was wondering if this can be combined with annotations somehow to drive the mapping in ways the user needs that are outside of the basis mapping.

Just load the generated model with server.xml, pass it to DAS.save(model) (model is a reference to the Object that is the root element of server.xml), and it's instantly in the DIT.  Restoring it from the DIT is the same.  DAS.load("DN of root server.xml element");  So there's all sorts of benefits like that end up being enabled, through use of EMF.

Wow.  Sounds easy.  OK I need to find some time to pick your brain.

One question that probably should come up during the JPOX collaboration is whether it can support a similar capability.

Right.  My fear is that we're going to try to bend the LDAP access model to try to make it fit into the relational model and that would be a mistake that will limit capabilities.

So once the dust settle a little, I'll be glad to help further our understanding of ways EMF could be leveraged.

Thanks!

Have a terrific weekend,

You too.

Alex