On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:
I guess each instance can have it's own Windows service right?

I think so. Although, I'm not completely sure. Chris ?

That's cool.  Also this might be totally off but is there any way we can have some kind of configuration thingy like the ones you see in the system configuration menus for ApacheDS or is that way hard to do?  Was wondering if we can control some things in ApacheDS through there.

Yeah I was thinking to do a little PreferencePane that could look like the MySQL prefpane -> http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/MySQL_PrefPane.png

That's awesome.

In this prefpane you could see the status of the server (running or not), toggle between Start and Stop, and also choose to automatically launch the server when the machine boots.

Love that this is going to be sweet.

I think we should have an init script for each instance.  Perhaps /etc/init.d/ads-${instanace-name} might be a good idea WDYT?

Sounds like a good idea.

/etc/init.d/apacheds-${version}-${instance) or something to that effect.  WDYT?

Good idea. It's the cleanest solution I think.

Cool.

Also I'd love to see a Solaris pkg so we can make some Apache folks who wanted to use ADS in zones here at the ASF happy.  That would be awesome but am just greatful to have what we have.

Thanks Pierre, this is so wonderful we finally have installers coming again and can do a real release.  We were stuck in the longest period ever without a release and for some reason with me it was due to knowing our installers were not up to par yet.  Thanks for picking this up.

Well for now, I only added the Mac OS X installer and corrected a bug introduced in a refactoring which prevented the build of installers from working.
All the credits go to Chris who did an amazing job with the Windows installer and RPM package too.
I didn't touch them at all.

Nice!!

I think a good documentation on our installer is lacking. It was not easy at first to figure how they worked and how they were built.
I'm going to document them on the wiki so everyone interested can easily jump in and improve/fix the installers.

Thanks that's just great.

We can now be good with the 5 minute download install tests that are critical for how effective a project is considered.  This is a big exposure area.

Exactly, I think this is an important point and that's why I tend to prefer native installers instead of a unique multi-platform installer.

+1 you have more flexibility and it looks cleaner.

Users are really used to working with native installers. This is something they apprehend easily and they feel safe with it.
So I think that with a Windows installer, RPM package, DEB package, PKG package, Binary installer, Apache DS will really cover a large set of OSes and people.

As you say, maybe the remaining one could the Solaris one.

Yeah with the Solaris part I guess we're really done - there's nothing else I can foresee people using, maybe free bsd but they can use the catch all installer maybe.

Hey let me know if you want me to setup a Solaris vm at oxylos for testing this stuff out with Solaris Intel.  We also have a Sparc machine available too but it's not a vm.

Alex