Here's the results I get when I run the performance test which I committed today:

total time for inserting 100000 items into the RBTree-->56.0 msec
total time took to read an item from set 0.0 msec
total time took to remove an item from set 0.0 msec
total time for inserting 100000 items into the AVLTree-->481.0 msec
total time took to read an item from tree 0.0 msec
total time took to remove an item from AVLTree 0.0 msec
total time taken for serializing HashSet ->820.0 msec
total time taken for reconstructing a serialized HashSet ->506.0 msec
total time taken for serializing AVLTree ->156.0 msec
total time taken for reconstructing a serialized AVLTree ->141.0 msec

Note I have a 4-way 2.6 GHz Opteron running an up to date ubuntu 7.10.

From the looks of this it seems we're 10X slower on inserts but 5X faster on serialization and 3.5X faster on deserialization.  I ran this a few times and the numbers were pretty consistent.

Alex