Hi Davi,

This is a great news.

We are really open to any kind of contribution to the  Studio (and the Server too!).

Your idea seems interesting and I think it may find its place in the Studio.
Although it would be great if you could elaborate a little more on it, so we can think about if and how we could integrate it in existing plugins.

Thanks for your proposal. ;)

Looking forward to read more about it.

Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
Davi Baldin wrote:
> Apache DS Studio Team,

Hi Davi !
> I have developed some Eclipse plugins for Linux administration. So, now
> I have a bit experience in Eclipse Plugins.

That's great... Seems to be a growing community.
> Today I need more complete solutions for directory services (like
> Microsoft Active Directory with snap-ins for user account and site
> administration), and I found a solid framework for this: - The DS
> Studio.

Cool :)
> I would like to contribute with Apache DS Studio, helping to building
> plugins for user account administration and custom configuration. I
> Think that the DS Studio is schema centric application (my opinion), and
> if we have more specific GUIs for administrators, we can provided a
> unique system that all LDAP server need.

I would say that Directory Studio is much more LDAP centric than Schema
centric, but it has been built in a way that it can be extended. Thanks
to Eclipse, creating new plugins is just easy. You can even redesign the
full GUI just keeping the internal plugins if you want to.

We see Studio as a platform which is LDAP enabled. You have specific
LDAP plugins (like the connection plugin, LdifEditor plugin, etc), but
you simply can add some more using those existing common plugins.
> Please, if anyone can tell me what you think about this idea, drop me
> some words.

This is just a great idea. Apache Directory Studio can become a kind of
WebMin, may be with a restricted set of functionnalities, of course !

Now, we need to see the code ;)

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny