Hi,

As I'm working on the installers, I'm reviewing the installation layout of Apache Directory Server on the various platforms we support.

Here's a little summary for those of you who are interested:

Windows

On Windows, Apache Directory Server is installed at this location: "C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server\".
Instances are stored in a directory (aside the server files) called "instances" at: "C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server\instances\".
The server is run as a Windows Service.

Mac OS X

On Mac OS X, Apache Directory Server is installed at this location: "/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/" (where ${version} is replaced by the server version).
Instances are also stored in a directory (aside the server files) called "instances" at "/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/instances/".
A Launchd descriptor is defined at "/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.directory.server.plist". This file allows the server to be automatically launched at boot.
A file containing the pid of the instance is created for each running instance at "/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/instances/${instance}/${instance}.pid"(where ${instance} is replaced by the instance name). This file is used to stop the server (by killing the process using its pid).

Linux
We only have a RPM installer at the moment (Binary and DEB installers are on the way).
Based on this RPM installer, Apache Directory Server is installed at this location: "/opt/apacheds-${version}/" (where ${version} is replaced by the server version). (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong...)
Instances seem to be stored (I guess that while looking at the 'apacheds-init' script in the 'installers project') in "/var/lib/apacheds".
A file containing the pid of the instance is created for each running at "/var/run/apacheds/${instance}/${instance}.pid"(where ${instance} is replaced by the instance name).
A daemon launcher is located at "/etc/init.d/apacheds" to automatically launch the server at boot.

Here's how it done today.

As I said earlier, I'm planning to introduce Binary and Debian installers for Apache Directory Server and I wanted to know where exactly to store each thing

In a discussion today with Emmanuel, he suggested a few changes to the Linux installation layout to enable a "cleaner" installation (and be able to run multiple version of ADS at the same time for example).

Here are his proposals:
I also want to add to his proposals, the fact that we could add the version to the path of installation directory on Windows (like that "C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server - ${version}\").

WDYT ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud