On the subject of containers, Alex and I had a conversation quite some time ago about Spring, OSGi, <insert shiny new container here> and I think everyone agrees that Apache Directory is a toolkit / API / framework upon which you can you could build a runtime for use with any container, or deployment style be it a full fledged runtime like OSGi or yet another API layer like Spring (or both).  One of my favorite things about Spring is the non-invasive nature of its use if you simply use it for IOC.  The IOC part is simply a convenience and if you want to wire together the parts yourself through code (or JAXB -> POJO, or the EMF thingy), that should work too.  I hope this is all still the case.  :-)

Chris

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Stefan Zoerner <stefan@labeo.de> wrote:
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Do we need a container technology ? The 0.8 version was working without
> this IoC crap. IoC is, IMHO, hyper over hyped... But this is another
> debate !

I think a container should not be necessary, if ApacheDS is embedded. In
this case, every additional dependency will add burden to those who plan
to integrate it in their applications.

I thought this was basically the idea of using the Spring Framework.

Greetings,
    Stefan