directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] Preparing to release
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 16:33:34 GMT
Hi all,

We have not had a release in over 9 months.  We've fixed many issues,
introduced features (i.e. StartTLS, revamped installers etc) and improved
the server quite a bit.  Also with ApacheCon on the horizon I think it makes
sense to get a release out the door.

Since 1.5 is a feature introduction branch there's no need to close all
issues open.  I do recommend we do solve the blocking issues and perhaps
consider other critical issues.  Right now we only have the following
blockers:

DIRSERVER-1149 Removing a non existing value of an attribute removes one of
this attribute's values
DIRSERVER-957 OOM when adding a lot of entries
DIRSERVER-832 Added Attributes are all case sensitive

DIRSERVER-832 is not a blocker but could result in other bugs we have yet to
discover.  It's going to go away when the Entry API is completely put in
position and the Cursor code is merged to use the Entry API.  So it can
wait.

These are the remaining critical issues:

DIRSERVER-1155 Use the rollback mechanism to restore the base when schema is
modified
  - this is not critical IMO
DIRSERVER-731 Streaming big objects
  - this is critical but not a must have for this release
DIRSERVER-833 Attribute(s)Impl usage and API
  - again not critical and will be complete when bigbang is complete
DIRSERVER-882 Adding a tool to convert Schema files to Ldif Files
  - not a critical feature (nice to have though) users can leverage studio
for the time being
DIRSERVER-956 Aborting a client search does not stop the search
  - CRITICAL
DIRSERVER-959 We nedd a global cache
  - not critical - this is just a feature to do away with per partition
entry cache (we can live with it)
DIRSERVER-990 2 objects of the Apache DS Schema share the same OID
  - CRITICAL
DIRSERVER-997 Block search ability for userPassword attribute
  - can wait until another release before going GA
DIRSERVER-1083 Search on an custom attribute added to the dynamic schema
fails when no result is found
  - CRITICAL
DIRSERVER-465 Make partitions nestable: remove the nexus singleton!
  - can wait
DIRSERVER-646 Replacing an unknown attribute with no values (deletion)
causes an error
  - CRITICAL
DIRSERVER-1056 Cleaning the warnings
  - can wait
DIRSERVER-1064 Admin password cannot be hashed
  - this has been fixed
DIRSERVER-798 Configurable ApacheDS OSGi bundles require schema oid
assignments
  - can wait
DIRSERVER-955 FilterMatch permissions are not being handled in Access
Control decisions
  - need more investigation

So personally I would consider the following issues on our plate for this
release:

DIRSERVER-1149 Removing a non existing value of an attribute removes one of
this attribute's values
DIRSERVER-957 OOM when adding a lot of entries
DIRSERVER-832 Added Attributes are all case sensitive
DIRSERVER-956 Aborting a client search does not stop the search
DIRSERVER-990 2 objects of the Apache DS Schema share the same OID
DIRSERVER-1083 Search on an custom attribute added to the dynamic schema
fails when no result is found
DIRSERVER-646 Replacing an unknown attribute with no values (deletion)
causes an error

This needs more investigation:

DIRSERVER-955 FilterMatch permissions are not being handled in Access
Control decisions

I think we can knock these out pretty rapidly.  If we cannot do so by
Wednesday of next week I recommend we release anyway.  There's no reason why
we should not.  1.5.2 is a feature introduction release that does not
guarantee a bug free server.  Users would probably prefer to have a
trackable release with these new features as a line in the sand to test
against.

Also I want to fix the present installer situation so we have installers
once again for our latest release.

Thoughts?

Alex