directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Apache DS] Thoughts on Apache DS installation layouts
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 18:05:17 GMT
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa@marcelot.net>
wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > I guess each instance can have it's own Windows service right?
> >

> I think so. Although, I'm not completely sure. Chris ?
>

> > That's cool.  Also this might be totally off but is there any way we can
> > have some kind of configuration thingy like the ones you see in the system
> > configuration menus for ApacheDS or is that way hard to do?  Was wondering
> > if we can control some things in ApacheDS through there.
> >

> Yeah I was thinking to do a little PreferencePane that could look like the
> MySQL prefpane -> http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/MySQL_PrefPane.png<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/MySQL_PrefPane.png>

That's awesome.

> In this prefpane you could see the status of the server (running or not),
> toggle between Start and Stop, and also choose to automatically launch the
> server when the machine boots.

Love that this is going to be sweet.

> > I think we should have an init script for each instance.  Perhaps
> > /etc/init.d/ads-${instanace-name} might be a good idea WDYT?
> >

> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> /etc/init.d/apacheds-${version}-${instance) or something to that effect.
> > WDYT?
> >

> Good idea. It's the cleanest solution I think.

Cool.

> > Also I'd love to see a Solaris pkg so we can make some Apache folks who
> > wanted to use ADS in zones here at the ASF happy.  That would be awesome but
> > am just greatful to have what we have.
> >
> > Thanks Pierre, this is so wonderful we finally have installers coming
> > again and can do a real release.  We were stuck in the longest period ever
> > without a release and for some reason with me it was due to knowing our
> > installers were not up to par yet.  Thanks for picking this up.
> >

> Well for now, I only added the Mac OS X installer and corrected a bug
> introduced in a refactoring which prevented the build of installers from
> working.
> All the credits go to Chris who did an amazing job with the Windows
> installer and RPM package too.
> I didn't touch them at all.

Nice!!

> I think a good documentation on our installer is lacking. It was not easy
> at first to figure how they worked and how they were built.
> I'm going to document them on the wiki so everyone interested can easily
> jump in and improve/fix the installers.

Thanks that's just great.

> We can now be good with the 5 minute download install tests that are
> > critical for how effective a project is considered.  This is a big exposure
> > area.
> >

> Exactly, I think this is an important point and that's why I tend to
> prefer native installers instead of a unique multi-platform installer.

+1 you have more flexibility and it looks cleaner.

> Users are really used to working with native installers. This is something
> they apprehend easily and they feel safe with it.
> So I think that with a Windows installer, RPM package, DEB package, PKG
> package, Binary installer, Apache DS will really cover a large set of OSes
> and people.
>

> As you say, maybe the remaining one could the Solaris one.

Yeah with the Solaris part I guess we're really done - there's nothing else
I can foresee people using, maybe free bsd but they can use the catch all
installer maybe.

Hey let me know if you want me to setup a Solaris vm at oxylos for testing
this stuff out with Solaris Intel.  We also have a Sparc machine available
too but it's not a vm.

Alex