directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Generated NOTICE files.... a solution
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:17:30 GMT
As I noted in a previous thread the current NOTICE files generated by
the apache-jar-resource-bundle 1.3 are not consistent with apache
policy.  After some discussion on legal-discuss I've come up with a
bundle that no one seems to be able to find anything seriously wrong
with: we're starting to use it in geronimo.

Aside from possible use by other projects I'd like to use this in an
upcoming ApacheDS release, so getting it quickly into a more neutral
location would be desirable.  I've opened http://jira.codehaus.org/
browse/MRRESOURCES-32 and attached a patch.

The basic idea is that the NOTICE file contains only the required
apache notice, with no extra text, explanation, horizontal rules, or
anything else.  Additional required notices can be put in a NOTICE
file in appended-resources and automatically appended.  Dependencies
are listed in an additional generated DEPENDENCIES file, by
organization, and listing the license.

Note that NOTICE files apply only to the exact contents of the jar in
question, not to any dependencies that might be necessary to actually
use the jar.  For work at apache the normal situation is that the
minimal NOTICE is all that is required, and if more is needed its
going to be because of some special historical circumstances that
can't plausibly be tracked by maven, so explicitly recording this
information in a human-written additional NOTICE file is quite
appropriate.

There is certainly scope for some kind of aggregating bundle for
assemblies that do actually contain stuff from other artifacts, such
as wars, ears, tar.gzs, etc, but these are pretty clearly an entirely
separate use case and likely to require considerably more work to get
right.  I think starting work on a separate bundle for these might be
appropriate.

I know of two problems in the patch, both in NOTICE.vm, and I haven't
been able to figure out solutions to either:

- I can't get a blank line in between the project name and the notice
- I can't configure projectName in a suitable place so it shows up in
the generated NOTICE.

Despite these problems I think this proposal is clearly more in line
with apache policy and hope it can be accepted and released quickly.

Many thanks
david jencks