directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Legal files goo
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:14:44 GMT

On Mar 21, 2008, at 11:12 AM, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 1:40 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks to Dan Kulp the new remote-resources bundle consistent with
> the apparent policy expressed on legal-discuss on the content of
> LICENSE and NOTICE files has been released so I can update the builds
> to use them.
>
> Great news thanks for following through and keeping us up to date
> on this.
>

> I need to know:
>
> - which builds I should update (branches/bigbang? trunk? which
> projects?)
>
> Bigbang is best.  We'll simple replace the trunks with these
> branches instead of merging.
>
> - which modules have additional notice requirements beyond the
> standard apache notice.  This would typically be because we've copied
> over code from some other (probably non-apache) project that has a
> NOTICE requirement.
>
> I think this information was in those old notice files that were in
> subversion.  I don't know anymore off the top of my head.  I think
> we probably fixed most of these issues - namely in the kerberos
> module of ApacheDS.  Emmanuel might also have a better memory than
> I here.  Emm what do you think are we clear here?
>
> For the time being can you consult the original NOTICE files in SVN
> for this information?

OK.  From looking at a few they  are very unreliable and seem to take
the point of view that some of the dependencies should be listed in
the NOTICE file and the licenses for dependencies copied into the
LICENSE file.  This is wrong....

I'll do my best.

Questions/comments.

Are there openLDAP files anywhere except schema-bootstrap?  What
version of openldap were they derived from?  I've used the license/
copyright notice files from openldap 2.4.8 which may be too recent.

Does antlr have a runtime component or are we only using the
generated parser code directly?  Is antlr used anywhere except in
core-plugin?

These are the only two items I see that require additional NOTICE or
LICENSE content.

I think I recall rumors that there might be copies of jdbm or
bouncycastle code somewhere. I haven't found them, so.... if they
exist please let me know.

So far I've just scanned apacheds, not shared or daemons.
Distributing bouncycastle jars from apache is a bit iffy due to some
peculiar patent issues.  In geronimo we copied the code we needed
which did not relate to the patents in order to avoid this issue.  I
haven't looked at if/how bouncycastle is actually used or included yet.

thanks
david jencks