directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [ApacheDS] Apache DS Linux binary installer - Testers needed
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:37:22 GMT
Hi everyone,

I'm finishing the Apache DS Linux binary installer.

It seems to work very good now. I need volunteers to test it on various
environment (Ubuntu, Debian, RedHat, Suse, Java 1.5.x, Java 1.6.x, etc.).

I tested it on my machine with Ubuntu 7.10 and Java 1.5.0_13.

For those who are interested in, the installer is located here:
    http://people.apache.org/ <http://tr_1205232733231>
~pamarcelot/apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin>

You can launch the installer like a classic executable file:
$ ./apacheds-linux-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT.bin

The installer will ask you four questions:

   - Do you agree to the above license terms?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS?
   - Where do you want to install Apache DS instances?
   - What name do you want for the default instance?

There will be default values for the three last ones (for easy install).

This installer will install the following things on your system:

   - ApacheDS data is installed in "/opt/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT" by
   default or what you chose in the installer
   - ApacheDS instances are installed in "/var/lib/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPHOT"
   by default or what you chose in the installer
   - An init script will be installed in "/etc/init.d/apacheds-
   1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE" where $INSTANCE is the chosen name for the
   default instance.
   -

To start the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE start

To stop the server, run the following command:
$ /etc/init.d/apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE stop

If you want the server to be automatically launched at boot, you can use
this command on a Debian based distribution:
$ sudo update-rc.d apacheds-1.5.2-SNAPSHOT-$INSTANCE default

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud