directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject Re: [Apache DS] Thoughts on Apache DS installation layouts
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 17:51:09 GMT
On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 6:25 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> I guess each instance can have it's own Windows service right?

I think so. Although, I'm not completely sure. Chris ?

> That's cool.  Also this might be totally off but is there any way we can
> have some kind of configuration thingy like the ones you see in the system
> configuration menus for ApacheDS or is that way hard to do?  Was wondering
> if we can control some things in ApacheDS through there.

Yeah I was thinking to do a little PreferencePane that could look like the
MySQL prefpane ->
http://people.apache.org/~pamarcelot/MySQL_PrefPane.png<http://people.apache.org/%7Epamarcelot/MySQL_PrefPane.png>

In this prefpane you could see the status of the server (running or not),
toggle between Start and Stop, and also choose to automatically launch the
server when the machine boots.

> I think we should have an init script for each instance.  Perhaps
> /etc/init.d/ads-${instanace-name} might be a good idea WDYT?

Sounds like a good idea.

/etc/init.d/apacheds-${version}-${instance) or something to that effect.
> WDYT?

Good idea. It's the cleanest solution I think.

> Also I'd love to see a Solaris pkg so we can make some Apache folks who
> wanted to use ADS in zones here at the ASF happy.  That would be awesome but
> am just greatful to have what we have.
>
> Thanks Pierre, this is so wonderful we finally have installers coming
> again and can do a real release.  We were stuck in the longest period ever
> without a release and for some reason with me it was due to knowing our
> installers were not up to par yet.  Thanks for picking this up.

Well for now, I only added the Mac OS X installer and corrected a bug
introduced in a refactoring which prevented the build of installers from
working.
All the credits go to Chris who did an amazing job with the Windows
installer and RPM package too.
I didn't touch them at all.

I think a good documentation on our installer is lacking. It was not easy at
first to figure how they worked and how they were built.
I'm going to document them on the wiki so everyone interested can easily
jump in and improve/fix the installers.

We can now be good with the 5 minute download install tests that are
> critical for how effective a project is considered.  This is a big exposure
> area.

Exactly, I think this is an important point and that's why I tend to prefer
native installers instead of a unique multi-platform installer.
Users are really used to working with native installers. This is something
they apprehend easily and they feel safe with it.
So I think that with a Windows installer, RPM package, DEB package, PKG
package, Binary installer, Apache DS will really cover a large set of OSes
and people.
As you say, maybe the remaining one could the Solaris one.

Pierre-Arnaud