directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot" ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Apache DS] Thoughts on Apache DS installation layouts
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2008 16:42:04 GMT
Hi,

As I'm working on the installers, I'm reviewing the installation layout of
Apache Directory Server on the various platforms we support.

Here's a little summary for those of you who are interested:

*• Windows*

On Windows, Apache Directory Server is installed at this location:
"C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server\".
Instances are stored in a directory (aside the server files) called
"instances" at: "C:\\Program Files\Apache Directory Server\instances\".
The server is run as a Windows Service.

*• Mac OS X*

On Mac OS X, Apache Directory Server is installed at this location:
"/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/" (where ${version} is replaced by the
server version).
Instances are also stored in a directory (aside the server files) called
"instances" at "/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/instances/".
A Launchd descriptor is defined at
"/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.directory.server.plist". This file allows
the server to be automatically launched at boot.
A file containing the pid of the instance is created for each running
instance at
"/usr/local/apacheds-${version}/instances/${instance}/${instance}.pid"(where
${instance} is replaced by the instance name). This file is used to stop the
server (by killing the process using its pid).

*• Linux
*We only have a RPM installer at the moment (Binary and DEB installers are
on the way).
Based on this RPM installer, Apache Directory Server is installed at this
location: "/opt/apacheds-${version}/" (where ${version} is replaced by the
server version). (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong...)
Instances seem to be stored (I guess that while looking at the
'apacheds-init' script in the 'installers project') in "/var/lib/apacheds".
A file containing the pid of the instance is created for each running at
"/var/run/apacheds/${instance}/${instance}.pid"(where ${instance} is
replaced by the instance name).
A daemon launcher is located at "/etc/init.d/apacheds" to automatically
launch the server at boot.

Here's how it done today.

As I said earlier, I'm planning to introduce Binary and Debian installers
for Apache Directory Server and I wanted to know where exactly to store each
thing

In a discussion today with Emmanuel, he suggested a few changes to the Linux
installation layout to enable a "cleaner" installation (and be able to run
multiple version of ADS at the same time for example).

Here are his proposals:

   - the server files would remain at: "/opt/apacheds-${version}/".
   - the instances files could be placed at
   "/var/lib/apacheds-${version}".
   - the pid files could be placed at
   "/var/run/apacheds-${version}/${instance}/${instance}.pid".
   - the log file could be placed at
   "/var/log/apacheds-${version}/${instance}/".

I also want to add to his proposals, the fact that we could add the version
to the path of installation directory on Windows (like that "C:\\Program
Files\Apache Directory Server - ${version}\").

WDYT ?

Thanks,
Pierre-Arnaud