directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some questions about CI
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:29:55 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:

>> It could be also a good think to generate nighty builds, implying
>> generating some packages. To be checked.
>>
> We can think about just building and deploying a snapshot nightly to a
> snapshot repository on the CI server (and add the snapshot repository
> to the root pom). Disabling the timestamp suffix should prevent
> filling up the snapshot repo with 'deprcated' snapshots - just
> overwrite the existing.
I would avoid deploying many SNAPSHOTs. IMO, SNAPSHOTS are supposed to
be local, and not saved on a maven repo. Nighty builds are a different
beast.

In any case, I don't think it is a smart idea to store more than a few
packages for download : you usually want to use the lastest build just
to check that it's running ok, not to get the build produced 3 weeks ago...

If we can keep, say, 7 versions, this should be enough.

> So we can use snapshot dependencies during development and see
> immediately when a change in e.g. shared doesn't works together with
> apacheds.
As we are usually depending on release, and not on SNAPSHOTs, except if
the projects are really close (ie, apacheds & shared), this should not
be necessary to deploy SNAPSHOTs. As I said, when I refer to a SNAPSHOT,
it has been compiled and packaged locally. I am totally wrong on that ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org