directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some questions about CI
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 16:24:37 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
>> Hi Felix,
>>

>>>  - - How often shall a build be done (compile/test, sitegeneration)
>>>

>> We have many possible options. We tried something like kicking CI
>> after each commit, but it leads to issues (usually, we don't commit
>> code in one big shot, so it launch the integration test more than
>> once...). I would favor a daily build (every night, something like 6am
>> UTC to be sure that nobody in europe or USA are impacted.
>>
> Ok. In fact nobody should impacted whenever you do a build because
> it's only running on the CI server.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. What I meant was that running the build at 6 am
will generate a functional server (hopefully), as almost all of us will
be sleeping. Doing it sooner or later, you might quick the build in the
middle of some commits.

> ATM I'm doing 2 different builds for each project:
> 1. mvn clean install (here we'd use -Dintegration) -> this build will
> throw build/test errors
> 2. mvn clean site-deploy -> this build will generate and deploy the
> site/reports
Fine !

> If wanted to deploy also snapshot 'releases' it should be done under 1.
Could be an option.

>>  and
>>
>>>  which params shall be used for which project?
>>>
>> -Dintegration test seams to be mandatory. We may need some more, like
>> install.
>>
>>   It could be also a good think to generate nighty builds, implying
>> generating some packages. To be checked.
>>
>>>  - - Where shall nag mails from continuum goto?
>>>

>> a limited list of persons. Like the interested committers. I would
>> suggest the following list :
>> - alex
>> - stefan S
>> - stefan Z
>> - pierre-arnaud
>> - me
>> - david
>>
> I created a small page in the wiki on the CI server. So everybody
> having access there can login to continuum as admin and setup his own
> account. He's then also able to add himself to the nag list of a
> specific project. I think that's the easiest way to go.
> People not having acces to the wiki can drop a request to the dev list
> for beeing added.
>
> Just feel free to have a look at it (link in the wiki page). The setup
> for continuum ATM is that everybody has access to the build logs but
> can't change or force a build - you'll need to login to do that.

Thanks a lot, Felix !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com